One thing I've learned throughout this health journey is that getting answers often requires patience, persistence, and sometimes a willingness to be uncomfortable for a little while.
As I prepare for my upcoming allergy testing appointment, I've entered what allergists call a "washout period." For those who haven't experienced it, this means stopping antihistamines, including Zyrtec, before testing so the results can accurately reflect how my body responds to potential allergens.
On paper, it sounds simple.
In reality, it's another reminder that medical testing isn't always convenient.
For quite some time, Zyrtec has helped manage many of the symptoms I've been experiencing. Stepping away from that support, even temporarily, means allowing symptoms to return so the testing can provide the clearest possible picture. It's not particularly enjoyable, but it's necessary. There was vomiting & dry heaves which left an upset stomach making refueling and rehydrating a challenge. There is also fatigue - physical, emotional, and mental.
What strikes me is how perfectly this fits into the larger lesson I've been learning over the past several months: advocating for your health often requires short-term sacrifices in pursuit of long-term answers.
There are no shortcuts.
Just as I've been coordinating between my primary care physician, allergist, dentist, and workplace accommodation process, this washout period is another step in gathering information. It's another piece of the puzzle. Another opportunity to understand what's really happening instead of simply treating symptoms and hoping for the best.
The experience has also reinforced something I've written about before: uncertainty can be exhausting.
When symptoms return, it's tempting to question whether you're making progress. It's tempting to want immediate solutions. But sometimes progress looks less like feeling better today and more like obtaining the information needed to make better decisions tomorrow.
That's where endurance comes in again.
Endurance isn't only showing up for appointments. It's following testing requirements even when they're inconvenient. It's trusting the process when you would rather skip ahead to the answers. It's recognizing that temporary discomfort sometimes serves a greater purpose. It is being honest with family and friends about how you're feeling whether it's telling my husband that I need bland foods or sharing with my Crossfit coach that I'm not 100% but I want to participate in class & move.
As I've entered this washout period, I've found myself reminded that advocating for my health isn't about demanding immediate certainty. It's about taking the next step, one step at a time, even when the finish line isn't yet visible.
I don't know what the allergy testing will reveal.
I don't know what recommendations will come afterward.
What I do know is that accurate information matters. And sometimes obtaining that information requires walking through an uncomfortable season first.
For now, the goal remains the same: keep moving forward, keep asking questions, keep working with my medical team, and keep trusting that each step brings me closer to clarity.
Because advocating for our health isn't just about seeking answers.
Sometimes it's about doing what is necessary to find them.
Scripture Reflection
"Let us not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." — Galatians 6:9
This washout period may be temporary, but the answers it helps uncover could have a lasting impact. For now, I'm focusing on the next step and trusting the process.
Resources:
Copilot for SEO optimization.
YouVersion - Scriptures

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please be kind. Disrespectful comments will be removed.